We are very excited to be returning to Viterbo in 2019. Last years trip was a huge success and was enjoyed enormously. Only a limited number of places will be available and we anticipate our group to be of no more than 12 people.
PLEASE NOTE : There are only two places left on this tour as of today 3/3/19
To the north of Rome in the hills and mountains of Lazio are some of the most stunning Renaissance gardens in the whole of Italy, made for the rich and powerful families, for princes and for men of the church. Gardens which expressed the interest in poetry, revealed in imagery relating to Ovid and Ariosto, secret gardens hidden away and flamboyant parterres ready for parties and fireworks. Enjoy the peace and tranquillity of Bolsena, staying on the shores of the lake, in the Palazzo Il Vesconte.
Included in the tour
· All travel within Italy, including airport transfers (from our preferred flight recommendation) and daily travel.
· Three nights at the Palazzo Il Vesconte, located in the historical palace of the Counts Cozza in Bolsena, with fine linen sheets and frescoed walls and ballrooms.
· Our expert Garden Historian and tour leader, Deborah Trentham will be with you every step of the way.
· Entrance to all gardens and villas.
· Two lunches and one dinner included.
· Notes and information on gardens will be provided.
· The number of a preferred flight will be provided which will meet our mini bus in Rome.
· Travel Insurance. We insist that comprehensive independent travel insurance is taken out individually.
· Two lunches and two dinners.
Please note, our exact itinerary and timings maybe subject to slight alteration, as we get closer to the departure date.
Arrive in Rome and travel by luxury minibus for lunch in a sea of peonies at Centro Botanico Moutan, a garden that contains the rarest and most extensive collection of tree and herbaceous peonies in the world. We are especially lucky as they will be in flower during our visit. To finish the day an aperitif as the sun goes down.
We’ll enjoy a candle lit dinner at our accommodation, Palazzo Il Vesconte.
The morning starts with a visit to the Villa Lante, one of the supreme gardens of the Renaissance, a mannerist garden with terraces and a water staircase.
We’ll pause for a gelato in Bagnaia and a meander before lunch in Caprarola at the Antica Trattoria del Borgo, which last years visitors still talk about with great affection. After lunch a short a walk to the Palazzo Farnese, a pentagonal villa with wonderful frescoes and a secret garden hidden in the woods.
A leisurely breakfast with time to enjoy your surroundings in Lake Bolsena.
We have organised a private visit to Castello Ruspoli, a welcome prosecco, we will have a guided tour of the Castello and garden with the owner Princess Claudia Ruspoli. The parterre is one of the best-preserved examples of its kind.
After lunch we visit Bomarzo and the Sacro Bosco, a garden full of surprises, colossal sculptures – leaning houses, elephants and temples. We return to Lake Bolsena.
Weather permitting we’ll be taking a boat trip around the abandoned and mysterious Isola Bisentina, with Palazzi and churches once owned by the Farnese family.
Alternatively we’ll visit Soriano nel Cimino and discover the sculptures of Fonte Papacqua of Palazzo Chigi Albani then lunch and on to the airport.
Tour dates 7th-10th May 2019
Our tour will cost £900.00
How to book
Places are secured by paying a deposit of £250.00
Please use our booking form here to secure your place.
Contact and flight details can also be found on the form.